February 16, 2010 through May 4, 2010
JOIN US! – Each Tuesday during the legislative session, MN-CCD will be at the Capitol to help people share their stories about the importance of disability services with legislators and to ensure there is a disability community presence at the Capitol.
Welcome and introduction with MN-CCD leaders in the State Office Building Basement Cafeteria – (right side of the room)
10:30am – 12pm
Meet with your legislators and share your personal story
12:00pm – 1pm
Lunch in the Department of Transportation Cafeteria
Advocates are encouraged to attend hearings or meet with their legislators if they were unable to do so in the morning
- Provide ‘talking points’ about disability services and tips on how to tell your story
- Provide a daily schedule highlighting relevant committee hearings
- Provide “Disability Matters- Independence Costs Less’ stickers
- When relevant, provide materials specific to certain legislation
- Be available from 12 -1 for Q and A in the Department of Transportation Cafeteria
- Learn how to find and meet your legislator
- Share your personal story with your legislator
- Educate yourself about disability programs and services
- Become an effective advocate for yourself and the broader disability community
Email Anni at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for one or more Tuesdays at the Capitol. Advocates are encouraged to set up meetings with legislators in advance (contact MN-CCD or your affiliated advocacy organization for assistance). While we hope you can join us at 10 a.m., you are welcome to join in at any time.
Check out www.mnccd.org for more information about advocating with the MN-CCD at “Tuesdays at the Capitol”.